A Baton Rouge Car Accident Attorney Helps Injured People Get the Money They Deserve
The risk of an accident is an unfortunate feature of life on the road, even for the most experienced and capable drivers. Driving on I-10, I-12, Interstate 110, Airline Highway (U.S. 61), or on U.S. 190 can involve risk. Unfortunately, crashes can and do happen, often causing severe and even life-threatening injuries. At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, we help people injured in a wide range of accidents get back on their feet with the full compensation available under the law. A Baton Rouge car accident lawyer has represented thousands of clients over decades of experience in the courtroom and at the negotiating table.
Our firm is founded on our Christian faith and a deep personal commitment to clients. We are pleased to stand by our neighbors across Baton Rouge in their time of need.
How Negligence Causes Car Accidents in Louisiana
Car crashes come in several shapes and sizes and can be caused by a wide range of factors. They are commonly the result of driver error and negligence.
Louisiana law generally requires car drivers to operate their vehicles reasonably safely and to refrain from dangerous behavior behind the wheel. A driver who does not live up to this responsibility is likely to be found negligent and held legally responsible for any collisions that happen as a result.
Some of the most common driver errors that cause accidents include:
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to use turn signals
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted driving
- Using a cell phone behind the wheel
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Drowsy driving
- Improper turns
Drivers may not be the only ones to blame when crashes happen. Other factors include inclement weather, road construction, hazards, and car defects.
A Baton Rouge car accident attorney at our firm will thoroughly investigate your collision to identify the cause of the crash, determine who is responsible and build the most substantial possible claim for money damages.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Louisiana
Although crashes happen in many different ways, some collisions are more common than others. Knowing the type of accident can help determine how the crash was caused.
- Head-on: A head-on or frontal collision happens when two vehicles traveling in the opposite direction collided. These crashes typically occur when one driver crosses the center of the road and drives into oncoming traffic or simply travels in the strong direction on a one-way street.
- Side-Impact: Many side-impact collisions happen in intersections because drivers do not properly yield to traffic. That is a recipe for disaster: the initial collision may put the vehicles in the path of oncoming traffic and cause a chain reaction.
- Rear-end: Rear-end accidents are some of the most common crashes in Baton Rouge and across Louisiana. They happen when a driver fails to slow, stop, or otherwise react to a car or cars ahead. The rear car then plows into the vehicle in front of it. The crashes can result from distraction, fatigue, and other factors.
- Roll-over: These types of accidents are often single-car crashes. They typically happen when a vehicle traveling at a significant speed swerves or makes a sudden turn, perhaps to avoid oncoming traffic or evade a road hazard. The vehicle then rolls over, which can cause catastrophic injuries to anyone not wearing a seatbelt at the time.
- Single-vehicle: Other kinds of single-vehicle accidents can result from various factors, including harsh weather, drinking, and driving, or dozing off behind the wheel. In some cases, a vehicle or parts defect may cause the car to stop suddenly.
- Highway construction crashes: Construction crews and equipment pose a serious hazard, often requiring drivers to reduce speed, stop suddenly, or merge without enough notice.
- Bicycle accidents: As bikes become an increasingly popular way to exercise and commute, bicycles and cars need to share the road more often. Collisions can be particularly hazardous for cyclists, who have little physical protection.
- Pedestrian collisions: Pedestrian accidents are far too common in Louisiana and across the country. Although they are often caused by driver error, road hazards, traffic flow design, and pedestrian negligence may also play a role.
Regardless of the type of accident, anyone who is injured in a car crash in Louisiana has the right to seek compensation from those responsible. The good news is that you do not need to go it alone. A Baton Rouge car accident lawyer at our firm will guide you through the process with experience and personal attention, advising you of your rights and options.
Money Damages for Louisiana Car Accident Injuries
Anyone who is injured in a car accident in Louisiana has the right to seek compensation from those responsible for the crash.
The money damages in these cases are meant to put an injured person back in the financial position than they were in before the crash. That includes compensation for medical bills, property damage, and missed wages for people who cannot work while recuperating. Additional compensation is also available for the long-term impact of the injuries on a person’s ability to earn an income and enjoy life activities.
In the tragic event that a person dies in a car accident, certain family members have the right to seek similar compensation for wrongful death. Unfortunately, there simply is no amount of money that can replace a loved one. Compensation can, however, ease some of the financial stress that often comes with the loss of a family member.
To get money damages, you have to be able to prove fault. A Baton Rouge car accident attorney knows how to build the strongest possible claims for money damages, leaving no stone unturned. We also fight aggressively to resolve these cases on optimal terms for our clients without long and drawn-out court battles.
We are so confident in our ability to maximize our clients’ compensation that we regularly take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means there are no upfront costs for clients, and we do not get paid unless we obtain compensation for you.
Louisiana Drunk and Drugged Driving Accidents
Drivers make the reckless decision to get behind the wheel while intoxicated by alcohol or drugs every day. That is despite the clear evidence that these decisions result in tragic and often fatal consequences for the driver and everyone else on the road.
Louisiana law makes it a crime to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Alcohol intoxication is typically determined based on blood alcohol content (BAC). A person whose BAC is 0.08% or higher is considered legally intoxicated.
Intoxicated drivers cannot react properly to traffic around them and are prone to poor decision-making, which often results in accidents. These crashes commonly cause catastrophic injuries and even death.
At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, a Baton Rouge car accident lawyer has significant experience assisting people and families whose lives have been upended by drunk or drugged drivers.
Rental Car Accidents in Louisiana
Rental car accidents frequently happen in places like Baton Rouge, where people from around the world regularly come to conduct business or soak up the unique atmosphere. When these crashes occur, they can come with complicated questions of liability because of the extra layer of parties involved.
Like in other accidents, a driver who causes a rental car crash is likely to be primarily responsible for any injuries. The driver’s insurer may be required to cover the costs under a liability policy.
For rental car drivers, you are generally responsible for any physical damage that happens to the car during the rental term. You may also be liable for damage to other cars involved in the crash or injuries sustained due to the collision.
Understanding your insurance coverage before driving off in a rental car is vital. If you own an insured vehicle, that insurance policy likely also covers property damage and liability for crashes involving cars that you rent. It may also overlap with any coverage offered by the rental car company.
Major credit cards also often offer some insurance for rentals secured using the card, but that coverage can be limited. It typically includes little or no liability coverage.
Under Common Types of Car Accidents in Louisiana
Regardless of the type of accident, anyone who is injured in a car crash in Louisiana has the right to seek compensation from those responsible. Typically, there is a lot of red tape to go through when dealing with the insurance companies. At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, we’re here for you, so you don’t need to try to handle the insurance company’s adjusters and attorneys on your own. A Baton Rouge car accident lawyer at our firm will guide you through the process with experience and personal
attention, advising you of your rights and options.
Speak With a Baton Rouge Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash in Louisiana, it is essential to seek the advice of an experienced lawyer. A Baton Rouge car accident lawyer at our firm will help you understand your rights and explore your options for seeking compensation.
Our office is conveniently located in Baton Rouge. We are pleased to serve clients throughout the region, including St. Gabriel, Donaldsonville, Gonzales, Gramercy, Lutcher, Plaquemine, Baker, Port Allen, Addis, Sunshine, Darrow, Convent, St. James, and Belle Rose. Contact us online or call us at 225.999.1111 to schedule an appointment with a Baton Rouge car accident attorney today.