Baton Rouge Uber/Lyft Accident Attorneys
Fighting Tirelessly for Rideshare Accident Victims & Their Families
At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, we help people and families injured in rideshare accidents identify those responsible and maximize the available compensation.
Our Uber and Lyft accident lawyers in Baton Rouge work aggressively to get you the money damages that you deserve without long, drawn-out court battles whenever possible. Our firm was founded on the principle of service to neighbors in their times of need, a fundamental tenet of our Christian faith.
You deserve a team who will fight for what you deserve. Call our Baton Rouge rideshare accident lawyers at (225) 230-3110 to schedule your free initial consultation.
Maximizing Your Compensation After a Rideshare Accident
Being involved in a rideshare accident can be a traumatic experience, and it's important to understand your rights and options for seeking compensation. Hiring an experienced rideshare accident lawyer in Baton Rouge can greatly increase your chances of maximizing your compensation.
Here are some reasons why you need a rideshare accident lawyer:
- Expertise in rideshare accident laws: Rideshare accident cases can be complex, involving multiple parties and insurance policies. A skilled lawyer will have a deep understanding of the laws and regulations specific to rideshare accidents.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies may try to offer you a quick settlement that is far less than what you deserve. A rideshare accident lawyer will fight for your rights and negotiate with the insurance companies to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Investigating the accident: A thorough investigation is crucial in rideshare accident cases. Your lawyer will gather evidence, interview witnesses, review police reports, and reconstruct the accident scene to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Proving liability: Determining who is liable in a rideshare accident can be challenging. Your lawyer will work diligently to establish fault and hold the responsible parties accountable, whether it's the rideshare driver, another driver, or even the rideshare company itself.
- Handling complex legal procedures: Navigating the legal system can be overwhelming, especially when recovering from injuries. A rideshare accident lawyer will handle all the paperwork, deadlines, and court proceedings on your behalf, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, we have a proven track record of successfully representing rideshare accident victims in Baton Rouge, LA. Our dedicated team will fight tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation and let us help you finish on top.
How Do Rideshare Accidents Happen?
Like other crashes, rideshare accidents happen in several different ways and can be caused by a variety of factors.
Some of the most common causes of rideshare crashes include:
- Using phone or other software to map directions
- Speeding or aggressive driving
- Driver fatigue (working too many hours)
- Driver inexperience
- Driver distraction
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Running red lights
- Failing to yield at intersections
- Car defects or malfunctioning parts
- Inclement weather and road hazards
Identifying the cause of the accident is a key step in determining who is to blame and making a case for monetary damages.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover?
Compensation in rideshare accident cases often includes money for:
- Medical bills
- Vehicle and other property damage
- Missed wages while recuperating
- Any impact on your long-term earning capacity
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress
To get that compensation, you have to be able to prove fault.
When you retain our services, a lawyer at our firm will thoroughly investigate the crash by gathering evidence from the scene, police reports, witness statements, and medical records to conclusively establish how the crash happened and who is liable for your injuries.
Rideshare Accident FAQs
Although rideshare car accidents are like other traffic collisions in many ways, the unique relationship between the driver, rideshare company, and passenger raises some unique issues. Passengers use a rideshare app to connect to drivers, who the rideshare companies treat as independent service providers instead of company employees.
I was injured in a rideshare accident. Who is liable?
As in other accident cases, it depends on who was at fault in the crash. All drivers in Louisiana are generally required to operate their vehicles reasonably safely and to refrain from dangerous activity behind the wheel. Those who do not live up to this responsibility are considered negligent and liable for any accidents that happen.
Here is how liability is determined in some common situations.
- A passenger in a rideshare vehicle is injured in an accident caused by another driver: If the driver is to blame for the crash, they are likely to be legally responsible for your injuries. If the person is driving a company vehicle at the time, their employer may also be liable.
- A passenger in a rideshare vehicle is injured in an accident caused by the rideshare driver: The driver is likely to be liable in this situation. Uber and Lyft require drivers to provide proof of insurance when they sign up to drive for the companies. Uber and Lyft also offer limited insurance coverage that may kick in.
- A driver or passenger in another car is injured in an accident caused by a rideshare driver: The rideshare driver is also primarily liable in this situation, although the rideshare companies’ liability is still being tested in courts and may depend on the specific circumstances.
In some cases, more than one party may be to blame. For example, Louisiana is a “comparative negligence” state. That means a person who is partly to blame for their injuries in a car accident can still get some compensation based on their proportion of fault. The only exception is in situations in which a person intentionally causes an accident.
What about Uber and Lyft? Are they responsible?
The question of rideshare companies’ responsibility for accidents involving drivers using their apps continues to be debated in courts in Louisiana and beyond.
Uber and Lyft broadly take the position that they are not liable for these crashes because the drivers are independent contractors rather than employees. Companies are generally on the hook for accidents caused by their employers while acting within the scope of their employment. Independent contractors are treated like self-employed entrepreneurs, however.
What insurance coverage do Uber & Lyft offer?
Both companies provide limited insurance coverage to people who are injured in accidents involving rideshare drivers. However, the extent of that coverage varies based on the circumstances.
For crashes that happen while a driver uses a rideshare app and waits for a passenger, both companies offer up to $50,000 per person in bodily injury coverage, up to a maximum of $100,000 per collision. Uber and Lyft also offer $25,000 in additional coverage for the vehicle and other property damage.
When accidents occur while a driver is making a trip with a passenger aboard or is on the way to pick up a passenger, each company provides a maximum of $1 million in coverage for both bodily injury and property damage.
A lawyer at Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys will explore the limits of these and other insurance policies which may be applicable to ensure that every source of compensation is tapped.
What Do You Do if You’re Involved in a Rideshare Accident?
Many of the steps to take after a rideshare accident are the same things that people should do in the aftermath of other types of traffic accidents.
Rideshare passengers who are injured in an accident should call 911 and seek immediate medical attention if needed. If you are not seriously injured, check on others involved in the crash to determine if they need emergency medical services.
The next step is to alert the police. Officers responding to the scene will look at the physical evidence, speak to the drivers involved, and talk with any witnesses. The police report that they generate is important both for determining who is to blame for the crash and filing a claim with relevant insurers.
Drivers who can safely move their cars to the shoulder of the road should do so while waiting for police to arrive. This reduces the risk of a second accident involving oncoming traffic.
Anyone involved in an accident can also go a long way by documenting the scene. That includes taking photos of the cars involved, skid marks or physical signs of the collision, and your own injuries. You can also document some of this information in writing, take down license plate numbers, and list the contact info of the people involved in the crash and any witnesses.
Consult with a Lawyer Before Taking a Deal from the Insurance Company
It is also imperative that anyone injured in a rideshare car accident seeks the advice of an experienced attorney. A lawyer can evaluate your case, calculate the full amount of your money damages, and explore all avenues for getting you compensation.
Sadly, many insurance companies rush out lowball settlement offers in the near aftermath of a crash, which can be a painful, stressful, and confusing time. These offers are often for pennies on the dollar compared to what your claim is worth. Insurance representatives also regularly apply pressure to try to get settlement deals done as soon as possible.
A Baton Rouge Uber and Lyft accident lawyer at our firm will ensure that you are treated fairly and help you maximize the financial recovery for your injuries. We are seasoned negotiators who are well familiar with insurers’ strategies to try to limit or avoid paying out claims. Your lawyer will handle dealing with insurance companies so that you can focus on your physical recuperation with the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have an advocate in your corner.
Talk to Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft rideshare in Louisiana, a lawyer at our firm will help you understand your rights and explore your options for seeking compensation.
Our office is conveniently located in Baton Rouge. We are pleased to serve clients throughout the region, including St. Gabriel, Donaldsonville, Gonzales, Gramercy, Lutcher, Plaquemine, Baker, Port Allen, Addis, Sunshine, Darrow, Convent, St. James, and Belle Rose.
Rear-end: Chris’ client suffered head, neck, elbow, arm, wrist, rib, back, and leg injuries in a truck wreck in Pointe Coupee Parish.
Side-Swiped: Chris’ client suffered head, neck, and back injuries in a car wreck in East Baton Rouge Parish.
Rear-end: Chris’ client suffered headaches, neck, back, and various soft-tissue injuries in a truck wreck in Pointe Coupee Parish.