Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyers
Dedicated Car Accident Lawsuit Representation
At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, we help people injured in motor vehicular accidents fight for the justice and compensation they deserve. Our Baton Rouge car accident lawyers have represented thousands of clients and recovered billions of dollars in verdicts and settlements and are ready to fight for you.
From head-on and rear-end collisions to serious wrecks involving multiple vehicles, commercial trucks, and catastrophic injuries, our team has the experience and resources to handle even the toughest cases. We also make it a point to provide personalized support that allows clients and their families to focus on recovery while we handle the work of recovering damages.
If you were injured in a car accident, contact us online or call (225) 230-3110 to schedule a free initial consultation. You pay nothing unless you recover money. We serve clients in Baton Rouge and Gonzales.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Louisiana?
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if you or anyone else has been injured or if one or more vehicles cannot be safely moved out of the way of oncoming traffic. Louisiana law requires you to report any accident to local police if the collision causes any injuries or $500 or more in property damage. You may also be required by your insurance policy to notify police in the event of a crash.
- When possible, use your smartphone to take photos and videos of the crash scene. Try to document damage to the involved vehicles, your injuries, the surrounding area, and any other factors that may have contributed to the wreck.
- Make sure to exchange contact information with all other parties involved in the crash. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, license information, and insurance information.
- Get in touch with a legal professional and your insurance company as soon as you can. Avoid communicating with the driver (or any representative of the driver) who caused the accident until you have retained legal representation.
The Importance of Hiring a Lawyer After a Car Crash
Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, and it's crucial to understand the importance of seeking legal representation to protect your rights and ability to secure compensation. At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, our Baton Rouge car accident lawyers provide comprehensive representation to help car accident victims fight for the largest financial recovery possible.
Here are some reasons why hiring a lawyer after a car accident is beneficial:
- Knowledge and Experience: Our attorneys have extensive knowledge and experience handling car accident cases. We understand the legal complexities involved and can navigate through the process efficiently.
- Investigation and Evidence Collection: We have the resources and expertise to conduct a thorough investigation into your car accident. This includes gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and reconstructing the accident scene if necessary.
- Negotiation and Settlement: Our auto accident lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work with insurance companies on your behalf to secure a fair settlement. We will fight for your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Litigation and Trial Experience: In some cases, a car accident claim may need to go to trial. Our attorneys have extensive trial experience and will represent your interests in court if necessary.
- Maximizing Compensation: We will assess the full extent of your injuries and damages and fight for the maximum compensation possible. This includes compensation for all past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Don't navigate a car accident claim alone. Contact our auto accident attorneys today for a free consultation and let us help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Does Negligence Cause Car Crashes?
Car crashes can be caused by a range of factors but are most commonly the result of driver error and negligence.
Fortunately, Louisiana law allows victims to hold negligent motorists accountable when they fail to safely operate their vehicles and cause preventable accidents and injuries.
Some of the most common driver errors that cause car accidents include:
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to use turn signals
- Running red lights or stop lights
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted driving
- Using a cell phone while driving
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Drowsy driving
- Improper turns
Who Is Held Liable After a Baton Rouge Car Accident?
In most car accident cases, negligent motorists are held liable for the damages they cause victims. However, drivers are not always the only ones to blame when accidents happen.
At Chriz Corzo Injury Attorneys, our award-winning team conducts meticulous investigations to identify the underlying cause of accidents and the potential liable parties involved. Depending on the circumstances, this could be a:
- Negligent driver.
- Property owner that failed to address hazards on their land that caused a crash.
- Commercial trucking company that violated trucking regulations.
- Corporate entity responsible for an employee who negligently drove a work vehicle or van.
- Manufacturer of defective products, including defective tires and auto parts.
- School system that employed a negligent school bus driver.
In some cases, at-fault motorists don’t have enough insurance coverage (or any auto insurance at all) to cover damages suffered by the victims they’ve harmed.
In these cases, our attorneys explore whether victims have uninsured / underinsured motorist (UM, UIM) coverage as part of their auto insurance policies. This optional coverage can allow victims harmed by uninsured and underinsured drivers to file claims directly with their own insurance company. However, as insurance carriers care more about profits than people, they still fight these first-party claims aggressively, which is why it’s important to have a lawyer.
What Are Common Types of Car Accidents in Louisiana?
Although crashes can happen in many ways, some collisions are more common than others. Knowing the type of accident can help determine what caused the crash.
Common types of crashes include:
- Head-on accidents. This occurs when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions directly collide. These crashes, also known as frontal collisions, tend to occur when someone is driving on the wrong side of the road or when a driver navigates into oncoming traffic to pass a car ahead of them.
- Side-impact accidents. Many side-impact collisions happen in intersections when drivers do not properly yield to traffic. The initial collision may put the vehicles in the path of oncoming traffic and cause a chain reaction.
- Rear-end accidents. A driver “rear-ends” another vehicle when they fail to slow, stop, or react to a vehicle ahead of them, causing the rear car to collide with the vehicle in front of it. These crashes are often the result of fatigue or distracted driving.
- Roll-over accidents. These types of accidents are typically single-car crashes. They can happen when a vehicle traveling at a significant speed swerve or makes a sudden turn, perhaps to avoid a hazard or oncoming traffic.
- Single-vehicle accidents. Other kinds of single-vehicle accidents can be the result of various factors, including harsh weather, driving while intoxicated, or dozing off behind the wheel. Defective components can also cause a vehicle to stop suddenly or otherwise fail to respond to driver input.
- Highway construction accidents. Construction crews and equipment pose a serious hazard, often requiring drivers to reduce speed, stop suddenly, merge without sufficient notice, or navigate unusual routes.
- Bicycle accidents. As bikes become an increasingly popular way to exercise and commute, cyclists and motorists need to share the road more often. Collisions can be particularly hazardous for cyclists, who have very little physical protection.
- Pedestrian accidents. Collisions with pedestrians are far too frequent in Louisiana. Although they are often caused by driver error, road hazards, traffic design, or even pedestrian negligence can also play a role.
Most Dangerous Roads in Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge is a busy place with a great deal of vehicle traffic. Whether you’re traveling down the I-10, I-12, Interstate 110, Airline Highway (U.S. 61), U.S. 190, or any city streets, there’s always risk for being involved in an accident – especially as Baton Rouge has been ranked among the nation’s most dangerous cities for drivers by several studies.
But as the data shows, there are some roads and intersections more notorious for accidents. These include:
- Nicholson Dr. As the most dangerous street in Baton Rouge, hundreds of accidents occur along Nicholson Drive every year, including an average of over 400 on the span between downtown and LSU.
- O’Neal Ln. The stretch of O’Neal Lane between Harrell’s Ferry Road and Interstate 12 sees hundreds of accidents each year, often due to heavier traffic flows.
- Staring Ln. Staring Lane sees an average of 300 accidents every year, particularly along the busy corridor between Highland Rd. and Perkins Rd.
- Highland Rd. The portion of Highland Rd. spanning from the I-10 intersection to Airline Highway at Perkins Rd. doesn’t have as many wrecks as the streets above but is still home to roughly 245 accidents each year, on average.
- Burbank Dr. Burbank may be a more rural roadway than the other streets on this list, but the span from Bluebonnet to Lee Drive still has well over 200 accidents every year.
Do I Need a Police Report to File a Claim?
After an accident, it’s always wise to call 911 and have law enforcement come to the scene to take a police report and ensure anyone in need receives medical attention. While these police reports can serve as valuable evidence in a car accident case, they aren’t a requirement for you to file a claim.
Whether you have a police report or not, one of the most important steps you can take to protect your rights is to contact an attorney. At Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys, we take immediate action to investigate accidents, document crash scenes, and gather other evidence that can serve the same purpose as a police report in supporting your claim.
Dealing With an Insurance Company After a Car Accident
While at-fault motorists are typically named as defendants in car accident lawsuits, it is the insurance carriers from whom these motorists purchased coverage that handle the case.
As corporations, insurance companies prioritize profits over people and take aggressive steps to dispute, deny, and underpay claims. Without an attorney by your side, you risk falling prey to their many tactics and recovering less than you deserve.
Fortunately, our team at Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys is dedicated to helping accident victims level the playing field with insurance companies. We can help you deal with insurers by:
- Handling all communications with insurance company representatives on your behalf.
- Filing claims, demand, and lawsuits, as appropriate.
- Handling all aspects of discovery between you and the insurer, including interrogatories and evidence exchanges.
- Engaging in settlement negotiations on your behalf or representing your interests at trial.
What Compensation is Available for Louisiana Car Accident Injuries?
If you were injured in a car accident, you have the right to recover monetary damages from the responsible party or parties. Compensation in these cases is meant to put you back in the financial position you were in before the crash.
Types of compensation you can typically recover after a Louisiana car accident include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Future expenses (medical, lost income, financial support)
In the tragic event where a person perishes in a car accident, certain family members have the right to seek similar compensation for wrongful death. Personal injury and wrongful death cases also allow for victims to recover future damages, including any future medical expenses they may require or future lost income or financial support a victim would have provided / earned prior to their injury.
Common Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. In the aftermath, it can be easy to make mistakes that could negatively impact your ability to receive compensation for your injuries and damages.
Here are some common mistakes to avoid:
- Not seeking medical attention: Even if you feel fine after the accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some injuries may not present symptoms immediately, and delaying medical treatment could harm your case.
- Admitting fault: It is important to avoid apologizing or admitting fault at the scene of the accident. This can be used against you during negotiations or in court.
- Not collecting evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, damage to your vehicle, and any injuries you sustained. Collect contact information from witnesses and the other driver.
- Accepting a quick settlement: Insurance companies may offer a quick settlement to avoid a lawsuit. However, this settlement may not fully compensate you for your injuries and damages. It is important to consult with a car accident lawyer before accepting any settlement offers.
Rental Car Accidents in Louisiana
Rental car accidents frequently happen in major cities, where people from around the world come to visit, conduct business, and soak in local culture. When these crashes occur, they introduce complicated questions of liability because of the additional parties involved.
Like in other accidents, a driver who causes a rental car crash is likely to be primarily responsible for any resulting injuries. The driver’s insurer may be required to cover the costs under a liability policy.
Understanding your insurance coverage before driving off in a rental car is vital, and being able to decipher policies when you’ve been hurt by a rental car driver is critical to recovering compensation. Fortunately, our team at Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys has experience representing victims injured in accidents involving rental vehicles and can assist in evaluating your options.
Call For a FREE Consultation: (225) 230-3110
Our Baton Rouge car accident lawyers at Chris Corzo Injury Attorneys are passionate about guiding victims and families through their legal journeys. Backed by decades of experience, we’ve earned a reputation for success and have recovered over $10 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
If you have questions about a potential car accident lawsuit anywhere in the Greater Baton Rouge area or beyond, we’re here to help. Give us a call at (225) 230-3110 to get started.
Rear-end: Chris’ client suffered head, neck, elbow, arm, wrist, rib, back, and leg injuries in a truck wreck in Pointe Coupee Parish.
Side-Swiped: Chris’ client suffered head, neck, and back injuries in a car wreck in East Baton Rouge Parish.
Rear-end: Chris’ client suffered headaches, neck, back, and various soft-tissue injuries in a truck wreck in Pointe Coupee Parish.